Daily meeting ceremony is done by the entire implementation team to synchronize the effort necessary for a successful finish of a sprint.
The meeting is moderated by ScrumMaster. It takes place at the same time and daily, preferably in front of a team’s Kanban board. Team members usually stand, but this is not mandatory.
ScrumMaster moderates the meeting, but it is the team to conduct the daily scrum.
In the case of a distributed team, remote team members are connected using electronic collaboration tools (MS Teams, Zoom, telephone). The camera is not necessary, rather it is recommended not to use it.
If the daily scrum is done correctly, other meetings will be eliminated naturally as all necessary information was shared in the daily meeting already. The daily stand-up is a key Inspect and Adapt meeting.
Goals of the daily standup
- Daily synchronization of the work for the self-organized agile team.
- Identification of the team limitations.
- Verification of the Sprint status.
The main focus should not be on reporting, but how to finish committed sprint backlog in collaboration, how to relay finished tasks.
Why daily standup?
- Daily stand-ups support the self-organization of the team.
- Perfect transparency.
- Easier coordination.
- Problems and blockers made clear.
- Feeling to be a part of the real team.
- Participation in the meeting is highly welcome.
- Evaluation of the state of the sprint and the possibilities of its completion on time.
- Potential adjustments in the Sprint scope according to the degree of completion.
- Communication of important changes of the scope.
- Approval of changes due to unplanned requirements in case of scope change during the actual Sprint.
- Identification of typical issues in tasks handling on the board, process errors and bottlenecks of the value flow before the meeting.
- Preparation of space and tools for StandUp meeting.
- Meeting moderation.
- Restrictions recording and informing team members about the status of previously reported team limitations.
- Synchronization of the team members’ work.
- Updating the completed tasks.
- Identification of the tasks which every member of the team will be working on that day.
- Updating the remaining time of the in-progress tasks on the Kanban board.
- Identification of the limitations.
- Identification of the Sprint status using the BurnDown chart and proposing the modifications for achieving the Sprint goals.
Agenda of the daily standup
How to prepare for the daily standup?
Even though standup looks simple (and when done it is really simple), ScrumMaster should prepare more thoroughly for the standup. Standup session must run smoothly. All necessary information must be prepared upfront and even some of them analyzed in more details to give the team further guidance in their daily job.
We suggest following checklist procedures to be done by the ScrumMaster before the daily standup itself:
ScrumMasters should prepare for the daily 10-15 minutes earlier as they are the main person responsible for the smooth process.
How ScrumDesk supports daily standups?
ScrumDesk as an electronic tool is here to help you with a transparency of the sprint status, fast identification of impediments and measurement of the progress.
ScrumMasters are able quickly to identify tasks which were not updated, or the team will not be able to accomplish till the end of the sprint. Instant synchronization without a necessity to refresh the page, collaboration, notification and even mentions help team to stay in touch either they are collocated or distributed.
Team members can level their capacities with capacity planner updated continuously based on the work assigned on the kanban board.
With Sprint burndown chart and sprint review document, the product owner is able to adapt the scope of the sprint according to the current status and even predict the implementation in case of scope changes.
Moreover, the notification sent to email or Slack channel allows staying in touch with the agile team to anybody interested in.